Archives renovations and closure
PAMA is undergoing a critical upgrade and retrofit of our collection storage facilities. This is a large-scale construction project.
This complex project will help to ensure the long-term preservation of the Region of Peel's archival records well into the future.
In the short-term, the project impacts access to the archives collections and public space.
What's happening during construction?
PAMA is replacing the environmental controls systems (HVAC) that service the Museum and Archives collection storage vaults. The new HVAC system will greatly improve our ability to preserve our collections by allowing us to control temperature, humidity levels and airflow much more efficiently.
Our collection has been temporarily relocated so that construction work can begin. Records and shelving have been removed to a temporary storage facility for the duration of construction.
When is it happening?
In August 2021, the collection moved to a new temporary location. In December 2021, construction began. All phases of the project are expected to be completed sometime in 2022.
What does this mean for archives inquirers?
- When collections are in transit, we are only be able to respond to urgent research requests relating to legal or humanitarian needs (see below). This is due to records and staff being unavailable.
- Throughout the pandemic, archives staff have offered remote service. This service will continue during construction except for times when collections are being moved.
- We anticipate some delays in responding to your remote inquiries during this period, as access to the collection will be more limited and staff will be involved with collection moves.
- You will receive an automatic status update when you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donations of archival records will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
How will we define urgent reference requests relating to legal or humanitarian needs?
At times we will only be able to respond to urgent research requests. Such requests will be for access to government (municipal) records that individuals or organizations may need to support time-sensitive legal processes or human welfare.
During these times, when you email email@example.com you will receive a short questionnaire. Your response will help us to assess your needs.
When will PAMA re-open to the public?
PAMA will begin a phased reopening in early 2022, with the art gallery first. Later in the year, the Archives will reopen. Public safety and the integrity of the information we preserve are some of our primary concerns.
We sincerely thank you for your patience during this process.